Welcome to the new AusCraft website!
IP Copied!
Click to Copy IP
play.auscraft.net

Banned; No idea how or why - assume a mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

z0mgbies

Hey
Never been banned before, never even done anything ban-worthy before (or currently). Just in case, I scoured the online listing of the server rules and confirmed, without a doubt, that I have not broken any of the rules.

I can only assume I've accidentally been banned in place of someone else? Failing that, I've broken a secret rule that has not been disclosed or published, and cannot imagine what that rule might be???
If this is the case - with respect, I submit that the admin responsible has acted improperly by not giving adequate notification of this rule's breach, and by such drastic measures as a first course of action.

I further submit that I would be deserving of such considerations in this event, because of my flawless MCBan 'reputation'. To this end, I respectfully ask that I also have my reputation restored to its previous condition upon being granted re-entry.

In any event, I would really like to know the grounds for this ban?? The more I type/think about it, the less likely it seems like an accident. As previously mentioned, I have looked through the rules on the website and can be sure I have not breached any of them.
I'm a 25 year old law student bartender type person, so it's not like I'm some kid hooning around dropping TNT on peoples houses... o_O

Expediency in this matter would be much appreciated.

Regards,
z0mgbies

Z

z0mgbies

What on earth is AFK Glitching? I know AFK means away from keyboard? But how can that be a glitch? It boots you after 15 mins anyway?

EDIT: I realise someone else will be along to unban me later; but this is really weird and I'd just like to define terms and whatnot o_O Get a bit of discourse going on the matter...

you were sealed inside a small rooms with the block that feeds and repair you and you had your jump key held down. by doing this you could jump forever and not get hunger and die.
by what you did will bypass the AFK autokick. this counts as exploiting a loop hold in the game to try and get your rank up. that is why you were banned

Z

z0mgbies

Wow... I appreciate the reply; but this raises more questions...
I didn't know you got a rank based on your time online?? What does it count towards, like, better drops?? I'm happy to have my online time reset to 0 if that solves the problem (not sure why that wasn't the first response rather than a drastic ban!)
There's nothing on your server rules that indicated that could be a problem, but I guess... sorry?

I've never been on a server that boots AFK people before; but I had assumed (for lack of information to show otherwise, and using logical deduction based on experience) that the booting after 15 mins was to prevent players causing unneeded lag from grinders or redstone clocks; which is why I placed myself by the meat grinder and not anywhere that I would get some actual advantage; other than meat. And also, where it would cause no problems to other players.
This is of course before I knew online time gave you an advantage.

I would recommend you guys amend your website to account for this obscure rule so no one else is caught off guard like this :smile:

I would also strongly, but respectfully, suggest the implementation of better protocols for admin to follow in regards to this sort of occurrence.
Its true that ignorance of a rule should not be an excuse for it, but it follows that the rule should be publicly available, to which I can find no evidence.
Concurrently, it was a drastic measure to take against a player who has literally never even been so much as kicked, caused a stir etc.
It would seem, given all the information available, and with no evidence to the contrary, logical to provide a warning and perhaps kick the player. In my view, it is in both the player's and the server's best interests to do so...

rule 2. no glitching, exploiting or using bugs.
from what you have said you knew the game kicks you after 15min, i also tried to talk to you about what you where doing in the game but you where AFK.
the question still is, why you where jumping in a sealed off room, next to an item that would refill your food.

also did you read this why searching the website about rules and such?
http://aus-craft.net/pages/wiki/

it tell you everything you need to know about this server so amend the site isn't needed. also a link to the wiki is on the very first set of sign you see at spawn.
so not knowing anything about this serve falls on you as you didn't take the time to learn about this server.

Z

z0mgbies

Mate. Getting tired of this witch hunt.
It is by no means the inference of a reasonable person that using in-game mechanisms, specifically provided for by the hosts, would count as a contravention of any of the three parts of Rule#2.
It is a deliberate plugin, therefore cannot come under glitch or bug. I can only therefore assume that contrary to the afk "glitching" comment above, it was actually considered "exploitation". The wordings a little muddy but let's go with it for now.

To the common person; especially one new to this server and the "precious stones" system you've implemented, how is it any more an exploit to utilise in-game mechanics in placing a lone block, than it is to place many blocks in order to trap mobs and gain items/exp?
In both cases the player has observed how the game works, and without using anything at his disposal that every other player would also have, he has taken advantage of the situation to suit his own ends.

The remaining argument would surely be that someone AFK would receive some sort of unfair advantage.
Notwithstanding the fact that a similar distinction can be drawn again to a mob grinder, where the better architect would yield a greater efficiency. It must be concluded that punishment under such an anti-AFK rule is based on the unfair advantage afforded the player at the expense of others enjoyment of the game?
To that end I submit that, in using the systems provided for, without available advice to the contrary, I effected a situation whereby I gained the quantum of advantages over other players (cooked meat), with a negligible effect on any others enjoyment of the game (no added lag, no significant added advantage).
THUS, to tie this argument together (at god damn last), it seems vastly unfitting that the most severe punishment was given when more suitable ones were an option.
In other words, it was heavy handed to do so, and a punishment does not fit the crime.

Z

z0mgbies

In response to msg 2:
As mentioned, I scoured the pages, including that one. I found the rules page. And as discussed above those rules do not cover my topic

EDIT:
Just adding that I am not arguing WITH you, but rather TO you.

Z

z0mgbies

Oh god I've been doing too much uni work.
In plain english, I'm saying
a) Excessive punishment, and i submit that a lesser one be put in its place
b) The rule likely applies (although I am in doubt). But regardless, I was unaware and was acting entirely in good faith with no intent to break server rules
c) I was/am aware of the rules as published, and similar to (b), they did not cover this situation in the eyes of a reasonable bystander/the average joe.

EDIT
List of other remedies you could have employed:
* Destroy the mushroom and let me starve
* Teleport me somewhere else, spawn?
* Kick me
* Temp ban me
* Jail me
* Remove all the items I had and delete them
* Build a big penis in my garden, and put a sign on it saying "This is you z0mgbies"
* Turn off the cow cooker
* Fine me $
* Turn my 5 or so chests of smooth stone back into cobble, and arrange them in the chests to insult me o_O
--- Obviously all of these followed up with some sort of message (/mail) to let me know what had happened.

But you see my point? You went for the harshest penalty for the most minor offence, if it is even an offence in the first place (I still don't understand why it prohibited).

EDIT2:

I just realised something per the wiki that I'd forgotten: did you mean the animal ranks when you insinuated I was trying to increase my online time????
Because that would be the biggest joke, after my life!!
I'm fricken Enderman Rank. I have nothing to gain..

urgh this is so ridiculous

Last edited by a moderator:
ok let me saying this again, you where jumping over and over, i asked you why you where jumping over and over, no answer. most likely due to AFK. to make sure it wasnt some lag i tp'ed you to another spot, the jumping started again.
for this to happen you must have your jump key held down.
by always moving you stop the clock on the 15mins autokick. which you said that you knew about

this right here is you exploiting the game ranking system.

now onto mob grinders, you can make those in game with out exploiting the system. so your point on that invalid.
but trying to gain ranks by trying to stay online without playing is you taking an advantage over other players who's ontime is legit.

the way you where set up.
you where hiding inside a small maybe 3x3 room, all walled off, AFK and jumping while having for food restored.

from that i believe you knew what you where doing

also even if you have enderman rank. your ontime still goes up and when your enderman rank runs out your ontime will put you to the rank to which level it should be at if you hadn't gotten enderman. so yes you are still gaining something

Let me say that I agree that being banned for bypassing the autokick is a bit heavy-handed. However, that said, you will be hard-pressed to find any Aus-Craft staff that will actually uphold the ban for doing so once an appeal has been made. But then you had to go off and contest it over and over in such a way that gives the impression of a snobbish attitude, which we detest because we have to deal with it all the time from younger players on the server.

Dr_inshane_o has laid out why you were banned and the reasonable approach that he took to the situation. You were caught undermining the AFK autokick feature (which is also there to reduce bandwidth on the server that is caused unnecessarily by AFK players) near a device that would give you an unfair advantage. You were in the wrong. It is that simple.

Had you simply created an appeal using the correct and template, and shown some humility rather than try to contest the issue and tell Dr what he could have done, you most likely would have already been allowed back on the server, the ban lifted, and a slap-on-the-wrist warning given. However, after seeing all this, I completely stand behind Dr in whatever measures he decides to take to resolve this issue, assuming that you decide to create an appeal using the correct template.

/thread locked

I'm making a judgement call here, as everyone seems to be fanning the fire and then getting up the other side for being too hot headed. This thread should not have reached this point in the first place.

Being banned for bypassing the AFK kick is excessive and unjustified, as:

-There is no rule in game that specifically covers the AFK kick, and
-There is no rule on the website that specifically covers the AFK kick.

You have been unbanned. If you are banned in future, please make use of the unban template, as it gives us all the information we need to investigate any bans made.

Status
Not open for further replies.