Welcome to the new AusCraft website!
IP Copied!
Click to Copy IP
play.auscraft.net

First aid facts :)

So for the past 3-4 years i have been a volunteer with St.John Ambulance Australia and i enjoy it very much the things i have learnt and the things i have seen (the Good, Funny and Gory) have helped me become much stronger mentally. i would love to share some things i havnt learnt from over the years some small facts here and there maybe some Abriviations some days who knows ill really just think of something when it comes to the time. i want to post daily but i may miss that goal as i can be really busy some nights with events and my studying but ill try. so while im at it why not tell me about some past incidents where you have needed to use a skill i have spoken about or when you were the one that needed treatment. and if you ever have a fact you want to share feel free to message me and ill be sure to add it in and give you credit :smile:- Appsonic82

Last edited:
First Aid Fact #2
In order for minor cuts or wounds to be kept clean and infection free you must do these 3 things
  • Wash the wound with clean (can be hot) water and soap.
  • Dry the skin around the wound with a smooth fabric. something that wont rip at the skin
  • Cover the wound with a clean cloth and place a sterile bandage over it.

Depending on how I got the wound, I just use water, no soup(If it's something rusted etc I use soup), then dry it and put betadine on an just leave it open for the air, then put bandage on it before bed (no one wants bloody sheets). But if you are working, don't really have time or the stuff available to do all that, so just water or well do nothing. Mmm grease and dirt in cuts haha
P.S
If it's on the foot/lower leg, I piss on it in the shower hahaha... Old school :D:p

Reactions: Tj
First Aid Fact #3
Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR for Short)
has a 30:2 Ratio this means 30 Compressions and 2 Breaths
it is ok to miss or go over on the compressions though but do not do more then 2 breaths.

Yeah my dad came home the other day after first aid course (He's an electrician), and said, "Once again they have changed how many breaths you have to do, at one stage they said you don't have to anymore, because it's pointless or something, as the lungs won't work without the heart". haha. I'm like ok dad nice rant. And apparently even when he had to do it every 6 months it used to always be different again and again lol. That's in QLD, Not sure if it's nation wide or not.

it's pointless or something, as the lungs won't work without the heart".
Even so by doing breaths your opening up the air ways and transporting oxygen to the lungs.
Once again they have changed how many breaths you have to do
ive never heard of it ever being changed in the 3+ years experiance ive had volunteering so im unsure where that infomation came from maybe your dad should talk to St.John the next times he is at a public event ?

Yeh that's what we all say anyways, always good to add breaths even if they say nah don't need to anymore. It's not St.Johns up here who run it, not sure who runs the first aids courses. It's a compulsory thing everything 12 months. And if you don't go, you get your electrical license taken off you/or penalty.

To be honest everything I have just said could be wrong. maybe it is st.johns, or maybe you can choose not sure. Maybe I should ask the old man next time haha.

First Aid Fact #5

The best way to remember how to help somebody in need is to follow the D.R.S.A.B.C.D which is

Danger (check for danger around the patient)
Responce (Check if the patient can respond to you)
Send for help (call an ambulance)
Airways (check if there is anything in the patients mouth to stop them from breating such as food)
Breathing (check to see if the patient is breating)
CPR (Proform CRP and remember 30:2 Ratio)
Defib (from here on in let the ambulance deal with it)

Just remember DrsABCD

First Aid Fact #6

To Treat a Burn Run the burnt area under cold water for a minimum of 20 minutes

If the skin turns black or if the skin gets white puffy blisters make sure to call for an ambulance

if the burn is not severe and in fact is only minor make sure to use some sort of burn treatment

First Aid Fact #5

The best way to remember how to help somebody in need is to follow the D.R.S.A.B.C.D which is

Danger (check for danger around the patient)
Responce (Check if the patient can respond to you)
Send for help (call an ambulance)
Airways (check if there is anything in the patients mouth to stop them from breating such as food)
Breathing (check to see if the patient is breating)
CPR (Proform CRP and remember 30:2 Ratio)
Defib (from here on in let the ambulance deal with it)

Just remember DrsABCD
Subsection to Response: Cows
Can you hear me?
Open your eyes?
Whats your name?
Squeeze my hands.
Remembered that from year 9 camp XD

First Aid Fact #7

You ever heard of the Green Whistle?

Well the real name is
Methoxyflurane
And if you ever have it be prepared to be forced to go to hospital. to be watched over. plus if your injury is that bad that you need the whistle you should be going to hospital anyway :3

click the name to be taken the the wikipage for the science of the drug

True Story: the first person i ever gave the whistle to asked me to marry them because i took all his pain away. fun times

I had it once when I was hit by car when I was 14ish (only got a bit of bone chipped off my knee, still there too lol). Then year later snapped my leg in a footy match, and both times it did nothing for me, I think it helped calm me a bit, but yeh pain was still there. Wasn't till a week later when they finally decided to like fix my leg and put a cage on it with pins etc, and put me on a morphine machine thing, where I could press the button when ever I wanted haha. Didn't use it much at all, tried being a tuffy and endure the pain, bad idea.. lol

I think it helped calm me a bit, but yeh pain was still there.
many people have different reactions to the whistle. to some its more of a stress-killer then a pain-killer. to some it numbs their entire body (and in some cases mind ive heard some pretty crazy things over my nearly 4 years :p) i myself have never needed the whistle