Welcome to the new AusCraft website!
IP Copied!
Click to Copy IP
play.auscraft.net

Win 8 - a question asked.

*** First of all, Please do not respond if you do not have Win 8 installed ***

How much different from XP is 8 to use?

I ask this from a viewpoint of my mum, who is 70+, has a lot of trouble remembering new things (due to multiple strokes), So mum is currently using XP, and needs to upgrade (fresh install).

Very.

If you have to move to 8, I'd recommend using a shell replacement such as Classic Shell, and telling it to change everything to XP style. Sure, there's still the new visual style in 8's Aero theme as opposed to the old Luna style, but it's a lesser impact than straight 8.

Reactions: Mui
The main difference of windows 8 is:
Everything is locked to a windows live account unless you do it locally.
Apps
No Start Menu
Start Board
Home group Icon Bug
Local Administrators must re-login to a network every time they log off their account.

Other than that, most things are actually the same system but different GUI (Graphical User Interface)

Windows 8 doesn't seem to resource hog as much as the AERO theme on windows 7 but is considerably harder to learn

Very.

If you have to move to 8, I'd recommend using a shell replacement such as Classic Shell, and telling it to change everything to XP style. Sure, there's still the new visual style in 8's Aero theme as opposed to the old Luna style, but it's a lesser impact than straight 8.
Wow classic shell is just amazing, thanks :D

Thanks Jedi btw, you have made it possible for me to configure the Win 8 computers for in-experienced staff to use without breaking down my network =D.

Cookieyamo

Admin
Cookieyamo
Cookieyamo
ADMIN
I use Windows 7 for my desktop and windows 8 for my laptop however I installed a third party start menu that looks and performs exactly the same as windows 7 start menu and changed the settings so all my programs open in desktop mode to avoid any MetroUI bullshit.

also i havent upgraded to 8.1 yet so i should probably do that.

Well no, You can force it to use a local account =P
Just you wont be using the apps that need it though o.o'