Welcome to the new AusCraft website!
IP Copied!
Click to Copy IP
play.auscraft.net

Do people even rent?

Hi all,

I had the idea of trying to 'rent' out properties in my village/town/castle i am working on, however after reading a few other posts throughout the forums, it seems this could be a dead idea.

I originally went on the thoughts of people having multiple set home locations and could rent out a room/house/cottage etc as one of their get aways (obviously for some minimal cost) Is this viable or worth setting up? Or do people just rely on TP's and warps to bother with this RPG element??

Any thoughts or criticism would be greatly appreciated !

Regards,

E

I personally believe renting is a bad idea for a few reasons. Lets be honest, not everyone is trustworthy and wont pay the rent when its due. Also the player may become inactive on the server in a short amount of time which means you don't get your moneys worth out of the room. But for me the most challenging part is managing the rent payment etc, Its just easier to ask for the cash straight up (like mui's apartments).

Logical issue: if they rented their plot and built on it, and then they couldn't pay the rent because they left, their is nothing you can do because when they build on it, they pretty much own that area.

If you sell the plot / apartment, they can turn it into a lava box as long as it doesn't leak out of their plot and all is good.

I personally believe renting is a bad idea for a few reasons. Lets be honest, not everyone is trustworthy and wont pay the rent when its due. Also the player may become inactive on the server in a short amount of time which means you don't get your moneys worth out of the room. But for me the most challenging part is managing the rent payment etc, Its just easier to ask for the cash straight up (like mui's apartments).
I have to agree, that all makes sense. And the amount of variables you mention does cause it to be a very hard item to manage.. Guess i'll stick with the ghost town village for pure aesthetics :P

Thanks for your input though!

Logical issue: if they rented their plot and built on it, and then they couldn't pay the rent because they left, their is nothing you can do because when they build on it, they pretty much own that area.

If you sell the plot / apartment, they can turn it into a lava box as long as it doesn't leak out of their plot and all is good.
Yeah i think i have already come across this issue already - someone has asked to build in the area i am located in at the moment, but hasn't been active since late last week.. :frown:

Activate that i know of*

Send me a mail with /mail send muiedge [message] and I can check if your allowed to clear the plot of their name or not when I have time.

Send me a mail with /mail send muiedge [message] and I can check if your allowed to clear the plot of their name or not when I have time.
Great thanks mui I'll do it when I get home :smile: I can only remember one of them though :confused:

btw Eesay, with the lava box possibility, you can set some predefined rules for your plot. Maybe tell them to stick with a theme and say what people can or can't use.

btw Eesay, with the lava box possibility, you can set some predefined rules for your plot. Maybe tell them to stick with a theme and say what people can or can't use.
Unfortunately i've already come across this issue, both people who built didn't listen to my instructions with the theme and build dirt/shoebox 'houses' :frown:

Why pay someone for land...Auscraft ain't short on space!

Location means squat with /warp and /home.

I think some people like the ability to build with other people kind of like a town system, the problem is people come and go and not everyone would be happy with what their neighbor has done with their plot.

Though instead of plots maybe selling houses inside a town would be more effective.

IMO, the reason why communities get abandoned is because people have already built what they wanted there and wanna go build something else. Beefy plains in the last map was a prime example of this. lots of houses, but almost no occupants. Some left, some moved on to other builds.

Welcome to the real world :D

Real world problems:
Can't pay for rent, Not allowed to build anywhere, No Mining License, Can't Find a job, Deep Mortgage Debt, Bankrupt, Things going up in price without wages raising, Land prices raise faster than you can save up to buy a house.

Price of living = Unless you have lots of investment properties, The government eats half your money then you dabble yourself in uni debts and forfeit the chance to outright buy a house because you know no matter how much you save up, the housing prices will rise up faster than you can save.