Welcome to the new AusCraft website!
IP Copied!
Click to Copy IP
play.auscraft.net

Creative Ranks (When it comes out)

This idea might have already been thought of, however. When a creative world, flat or normal (or both), is created for the server, there should be a ranking system to show how good of a builder you are and how much you have built in a similar style to how survival's ranking is done, except admins and such rank you up instead of an automatic system.

For example, a lower/starting rank only has to make one build of 'acceptable' quality for an admin to give them the next rank up, and the higher rank you are, the more builds and better quality and style of building are required to rank up further. I'm not sure what perks could be applied to each rank, but maybe the ranking system could be in place to show how good someone is at building, and the time they've spent building compared to another builder.
Any thoughts?

I feel like ‘good’ is largely open to interpretation.

Who’s to say Bob’s modern mansion is better or worse than Tim’s rustic cottage? Sarah’s bridge? People each have their preferences as to how they imagine, design and build things.

Comparing people’s work against others’ for ranks will only push those who are experienced with the ins and outs of creative building in Minecraft and unfairly target against those who may not necessarily build what people would generally accept as ‘amazing’, especially adding the potential bias of whatever admins will be in charge of it.

Why attempt to put a divide against players on a server that is supposed to be a friendly community?

I didn't mean to attempt in adding a divide between build styles and players opinions on what builds they like to create a dilemma. I don't think it matters whether or not someone creates a building in industrial or modern style, what matters most is the time and dedication to create something pleasing to the eyes, not just a box house or only leaning towards a specific build style.

I don’t think that -you- specifically were meaning to do that, but the system you suggested may have the effect of doing so.

Creative Minecraft is supposed to be a sandbox for people to express themselves, and adding subjective criteria that people must follow in order to progress will only serve to hamper that.

Again, I don’t think it’s your intention, but I do think it’ll be a result of such a system.

I have to agree with Vlocityman on this subject as had a similar ranking system in my old server.

The problem was that what the staff thought was good enough to rank got very close minded to certain builders styles, you had to have all these criteria, you had to use a million different textured blocks and create custom trees, lakes, ravines, caves...

Some people just wanted to create clean buildings but the time and effort was the there but wasn't recognised because it wasn't like the others.
If there was to be a ranking system I would suggest it be based on time and effort put in, not necessarily what looks "better" because it causes a bitter environment that becomes increasingly less appealing for fear that you might not be deemed good enough.